Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Yes, I Have A Job

I wish others would stop looking at me as if I do nothing to support my family. Most know me as a stay at home mom, but I actually have a job. And I've calculated what I would make working outside the home and what the daycare expense would be. I actually make more at my work at home job than I would working outside the home and paying for daycare. So get off my back already about us being poor and how we'd be better off if I "got a job." I have one.

For those who are now curious, I work for ttownmoms.com. I contribute/research stories that are posted on the message board. I am also a featured blogger - posting recipes and teaching people how to cook. I also help out with local events promoting ttownmoms. I've been there since June of 2009 and I don't have any plans to go away. Prior to October of 2010, I blogged a lot about homemaker stuff but was asked to take on the role of the exclusive recipe blogger. So that's what I'm doing now and people like it. And as a new feature to that blog, I've also taken on the challenge of teaching others how to cook who have never cooked anything before.

My job combines my love for writing and my love for cooking and quite a bit of communication and connecting with others (and some marketing too, I suppose). I couldn't ask for a better job - especially being able to stay home and raise my girls.

What that doesn't do for me, I let my sewing machine fill in. I recently started up a sewing business that I hope will be successful considering I'm using my God-given talents for a good cause. It's not only going to help support my family financially but I also donate 20% of profits to charities. Remarkably, a business venture that I started on bed rest while pregnant with Caroline (my now 3 year old) is still bringing in enough extra cash every month to cover supplies for my sewing business - giving me a whole profit when I make a sale (minus the 20% to charity).

My husband and I both work very hard to support our family. Maybe it's not what you're doing or it doesn't pay what you earn... but it's enough for us. And when it's not - God is enough. He has shown us time and time again that this is what we should be doing and where we should be. It may not be the easiest road but it sure as heck is rewarding!

2 comments:

  1. From one WAHM to another....Amen <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you didn't do the other things, being a Mom and staying at home raising your children is a FULL TIME J.O.B. A great one at that as well!

    AMEN.
    and AMEN.

    ReplyDelete