Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stepping It Up

While the end of 2010 seemed like a pretty busy time for me, it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all in 2011. I know this is because I haven't said "no". Sometimes I just can't. I have this part of my being that likes to step up when no one else will.

This weekend will begin a three month adventure judging a local recipe contest that benefits the American Heart Association. I am really excited about that. While I am not the only "celebrity judge" there, it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up - especially after my big rant about my work at home job. It was because of this job, I am able to be a "celebrity judge."

I am also tutoring once a week in reading. We started this earlier in the school year, but then winter break happened and I haven't seen him since. Thankfully he should be back tonight for another session. I am so glad. I know it appears that I am helping him, but he is also helping me gain confidence in my ability to teach. I sometimes wonder about my teaching ability. What "qualifies" me to do this? I honestly don't know.  I DO know that I'm supposed to be doing this. God called me to do it. I'll be honest that I got pretty nervous when he stopped showing up after winter break. I thought I wasn't making a difference. I don't know how I taught my daughters to love to read, but I did. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing here. I'm just trying to follow God's lead. We're making big breakthroughs, but I guess my lack of confidence in what I'm doing has me worried that sometimes I'm not the right person for this.

Recently, I became classroom parent for my preschooler's PTO bingo basket. That means I have to help pull this all together before bingo night. It's really hard to get any parent in the afternoon class to do anything at all, so hopefully the morning class will be more willing to send in items and make it something cool. Our theme is Owasso Rams, so if you have anything you'd like to donate, please let me know.

Because of the lack of parent help in the afternoon, I have been in charge of planning classroom holiday parties. There was actually one holiday that passed where the afternoon class didn't have much of a party and the morning class rocked theirs out. I don't want my kid (or any of the other kids) to be deprived because no one will step up and help. So I volunteered myself to help with the Thanksgiving and Christmas parties. I ended up having to plan the whole Christmas party and it was a huge hit. Valentine's Day parties are coming up and I told the teacher I wouldn't mind planning it for the class, but would only do it if no one else offered. She immediately wrote back and said she hasn't had any response at all from the afternoon class parents, so it looks like I'm planning that one too. These kids deserve great parties. God gave one funny bone and the rest are all artistic bones, so I guess I'm the right one for this job.

I'm pretty sure if I ever seriously became overwhelmed, I could say no. But I haven't been able to find a good reason to not do these things. It's what I do. I step up and help when no one else does - and lately, that's happening a lot. So here I am.

1 comment:

  1. I have that need, too...it's good that I can't indulge it as much as I'd like, due to work and lack of money. :D I like to "fix" things and situations, both figuratively and literally. I like to be the one to save the day. I like to be the one you can count on when no one else follows through.

    The downside of it is that there are too many people willing to let you shoulder all the burdens, plus there's almost always a deadline hanging over your head. It helps me work better...but it's stress. Even good stress is stressful. :)

    Take care of yourself, too!!! :)

    -jen moreno

    ReplyDelete